Now that you've chosen Eureka Springs as your wedding destination, there's some very important legalities you need to be aware of. Here are some frequently asked questions about wedding legalities in Eureka Springs: 1.How much does a marriage license cost? It costs $60.00 to obtain a license in Arkansas. Certified copies may be purchased for $5.00 each. CASH ONLY. Do not send cash in the mail. You must go to the courthouse to pay for the license.
2. Must my partner be present to obtain a marriage license? A couple desiring to enter into a ceremonial marriage must obtain a marriage license from the county clerk of any county of this state. Both parties MUST be present to obtain a marriage license. A Power of Attorney in NOT acceptable under any circumstance.
3. How old must I be to get married? Applicants must be 18 years or older to contract for a license in Arkansas without parental consent. Marriages are prohibited for males under 17 and females under 16 unless the female is pregnant, or a child has been born to them. Judicial approval is required for anyone under the age of 16 to marry. Individuals who are 16 and 17 must have judicial approval or parental consent.
4. Do I need any identification? Your social security card OR documentation with your social security number on it -AND- a valid form of photo identification, such as a driver's license, U.S. passport, certified copy of a birth certificate (complete with raised seal and on blue certificate paper), or military identification is required.
5. Do I have to take a blood test? Blood test or health certificates are not required to obtain a license.
6. How long must I wait before I get my license? There are no time limitations or waiting periods. Once application is processed, you will receive your license.
7. Can I use this license in another state to get married? License must be returned, used or unused, within 60 days for recording or a $100 bond will be executed against all applicants for license. License may be used immediately or within the 60 days time limit. There is no waiting period required in Arkansas after a divorce is final. No witnesses required.
8. Is the minister the only legal officiant in the state? The minister’s credential must be recorded with a County Clerk’s Office in the State of Arkansas prior to a wedding ceremony.
A marriage license may be purchased at any county seat in Arkansas. In Eureka Springs you may purchase an Arkansas marriage license at the courthouse in downtown Eureka Springs.
44 South Main - P.O. Box 109 Eureka Springs, AR 72632 479-253-8646